Tuesday, November 8, 2011

New Orleans

A few weeks ago, we went down to New Orleans for a friend's wedding. It was a really quick trip (only two days not including travel), but it was fun. I went to school down there, so I really start missing New Orleans in the fall. Luckily we've been able to go back a few times since I graduated. (See photos from our past trips here, here, here, and here.)

Of course, no trip to New Orleans is complete without stopping for a bite (or sip) at some of our favorite restaurants, and since there wasn't time to do much else, that is mainly what we did. 

For breakfast the first morning, we went to The Coffee Pot on St. Peter Street (oddly enough, most of my favorite restaurants are on St. Peter). Noah and I randomly chose to eat lunch there a few years ago and have been going back ever since.

Abe usually seems pleased with my homemade French toast, but he made it pretty clear that my French toast doesn't hold a candle to this stuff. I'd have to agree. Their French toast (or Lost Bread) is to die for. To. Die. For. 

After breakfast we took a short walk up to the Riverwalk where Abe watched the streetcar and pointed at the boats he saw on the river. He even stopped a sweet older couple (who were heading towards the river just as we were leaving) to tell them "boat!" Wanted to make sure they didn't miss a thing. He is a very good tourist...

That evening we went to the wedding at The Court of Two Sisters Pavilion in City Park. 

Abe spent most of the ceremony pointing out birds to the lady sitting next to us, or wandering around the gardens with his dad when he couldn't sit still any longer.

I was prepared to take off around 8:00 when he usually starts melting down, but he surprised us and was quiet and cheerful until the end. It may have helped that he was completely smitten with one of my other college friends, and spent a lot of time giggling and flirting with her. The dancing also kept him entertained, and just when he was starting to get a little bit tired, the red velvet cake gave him the strength to carry on. 

Oh, and when he heard the word "bubbles" just before the big send off, that was all he could think about for the rest of the night. He held onto his little bottle of bubbles the whole ride home, and after spilling the remaining contents on the bed, he fell asleep with the bottle clutched in his chubby little hand.

The next day, we had the whole day to ourselves, so we grabbed a quick breakfast and took the streetcar up to Audubon ParkSince we were down these just before Halloween, much of St. Charles Avenue looked something like this:  

Abe really enjoyed his first ride on the streetcar, which seems to have sparked a new found love of trains.

The weather was gorgeous - perfect for a nice long walk around the park. We stopped to watch the ducks and other birds (not really sure what these are), which came towards us looking for food. We didn't have any treats for the birds so they quickly lost interest. As we were leaving, a girl across the way pulled out an almost empty bread bag and all the birds ran to her squawking loudly. Now whenever Abe sees a bird he says "Duck." Apparently those ducks made quite an impression.

After the ducks and a quick stop to play on the playground, we headed across the street to my alma mater, Loyola University. I think Abe could have stayed there all day climbing on the letters...

I had to stop at the bookstore to pick up a Loyola shirt for Abe. He has tons of Gopher shirts since his dad went to the University of Minnesota, so I figured he should have at least one shirt from my school! 

On the way back Abe fell asleep almost as soon as we got on the streetcar and didn't wake up until we were getting off. By then it was lunchtime so we went to Acme Oyster House. Acme is one of the places I didn't discover until after I graduated, and that's probably a good thing. Oysters aren't cheap, but they are delicious...

We never seem to get enough of their Chargrilled Oysters. (Abe was too busy annihilating a package of Saltine crackers to bother trying anything new. Not that we tried very hard to convince him. That just meant more for us.)

Since we can't (afford) to live on oysters alone, we also split a Peace Maker Po-Boy. Half fried oysters and half fried shrimp. I usually find all oyster po-boys too rich and all shrimp too boring, but I've always liked this one. Wash it down with an Abita beer and that's a lunch that could save the world.

Abe's little nap on the streetcar seemed to be all he needed, so after going back to the hotel and trying to get him to take a nap, we decided to go for a walk around the Quarter instead. Like so many times before, we ended up at Pat O'Brien's. (Just a note, if you have kids with you they won't let you enter Pat O's from St. Peter Street. You have to go around to the entrance on Bourbon. Weird but true. If you do not have kids with you, enter wherever you want but head straight for the patio bar. It will make you want to get a house in the French Quarter and spend the rest of your days sipping cocktails in the courtyard...)

Their menu claims that they have the "Best Bloody Mary" in New Orleans, and I think that's a pretty safe bet. Definitely one of the best I've ever had and I've tried a lot of Bloody Marys. 

Of course they're famous for their Hurricanes. My husband always orders a Hurricane. I'm not a big fan, but I don't really like fruit punch flavored drinks of any kind...booze or no booze.

We had some time to kill before dinner so we wandered around the Quarter looking for ghosts.

We found a couple...

...and one place that definitely looked haunted.

I would have just wandered around taking pictures all day, but my boys were urging me to keep going. Abe really wanted to get back to the balloons he spied on Bourbon Street when we ducked into Pat O's. Noah and I had other (more kid-friendly) plans.

We were going to stop at the Cafe du Monde on Sunday morning, but were deterred by the huge line to get in. Instead we stopped in on Monday evening and found a table right away. 

Their beignets were fabulous, as always, although Abe preferred playing in the pile of powdered sugar to actually eating anything.

Afterwards we headed over to Pirate's Alley for a few pictures. The light there is always gorgeous.

I think Abe was really excited to get out of the stroller to run around for a bit. Or maybe he just inhaled some of that powdered sugar... 

I don't think he stood still for a single picture, but capturing his hilarious expressions and this moment of sheer joy was time well spent.

Pirate's Alley runs along the side of St. Louis Cathedral, so we walked around Jackson Square one last time before heading off to dinner.

We finished our trip with a delicious meal at The Gumbo Shop. I usually start the meal with a cup of gumbo, but can never choose between red beans and rice or jambalaya, so I always order their combination platter and get a little of both (along with some excellent shrimp creole). 

Abe was so tired and hungry when we got there, but he cheered up when our waiter brought him a little bowl of strawberries. Then when our meals came, he gobbled up my red beans and rice and jambalaya like candy.

I do wish we had stayed longer. If I had known that we'd spend our entire day on Tuesday either in airports or on a plane (our original flight was cancelled), I would have just booked a later flight to begin with. At least Abe likes flying. Six hours in the air could have been a lot less fun!  

1 comment:

  1. Ah, brings back memories! (I grew up in Covington, on the Northshore.)