To make these soft and chewy gingersnaps, you'll need:
1 cup brown sugar
¾ cup butter
¼ cup dark molasses
¼ tsp. salt
1½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. cloves
1 tsp. cinnamon
1½ tsp. ginger
¼ tsp. nutmeg
2¼ cups flour
2. In a separate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. (This is the only baking trick I know. Instead of sifting, which I never do because I don't have a sifter, mix dry ingredients together with a wire whisk. Does the same job with a much smaller piece of equipment!)
3. Mix dry ingredients into the butter and sugar mixture, form into a ball, and wrap in plastic wrap.
4. Chill the dough for at least 1 hour.
5. Roll dough into small balls about the size of a walnut and coat with sugar.
6. Place 2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet and sprinkle lightly with water.