So Abe's dinosaur dig s'mores cake was a devil's food chocolate cake basically covered with a giant marshmallow and coated with crushed graham crackers. Sounds weird, but it was delicious! It was however missing that roasted marshmallow flavor. I suppose the marshmallow topping could be toasted with a kitchen torch or under a hot broiler, but I tend to set marshmallows on fire so I decided to stop while I was ahead.
Edie is allergic to milk, which means I have to avoid dairy foods as well. Since it's almost impossible to make a cake without a little sampling along the way (right?) I did a quick search online to find out if there were any dairy-free cake mixes out there. I was surprised to find that Duncan Hines actually had some dairy-free options! A quick trip to the grocery store, and I came home with a box of their devil's food cake mix (double check the ingredient list before buying - not all of their cakes are dairy-free).
Next I needed frosting. Since my go-to cream cheese frosting was out, I was a little more determined to try a marshmallow frosting. Most of the recipes I found contained eggs or butter, and none of them sounded very marshmallow-y so I decided to make my own. Actually, I didn't create a marshmallow frosting recipe so much as mixed up a batch of Martha's homemade marshmallows and poured the gooey mixture over my cake. Then I coated my sticky "frosting" with graham cracker crumbs (instead of the powdered sugar called for in the recipe). The texture was a little different since it was spongy like a marshmallow instead of creamy like normal frosting, but I could get used to these marshmallow covered cakes!
For the T. Rex skeleton, I found this silicone ice cube tray from Fred & Friends (they also have a triceratops version), which says right on the box that it's safe for temperatures up to 446° F. Perfect for making an edible white chocolate skeleton! I made the fossils a few days ahead. Just melt chocolate chips (or candy wafers) in a double-boiler (I used a ceramic bowl over a pot of boiling water), and pour into the mould. The mould I used was pretty flexible so it helped to put it on a plate before pouring the chocolate in. I also discovered that it works best to put the mould in the freezer (plate and all) until the chocolate sets. It was easy to pop the pieces out once they were frozen. They looked a bit shiny though right out of the mould so I dusted the pieces with graham cracker crumbs for a more believable "I've been buried for 65 million years" look.
So from certain angles my cake looked sort of...lopsided. That's because after pouring the marshmallow layer in the middle, I neglected to put any skewers in to hold it in place. Once I poured the marshmallow on top and started spreading it around the top layer started to shift and I wasn't able to move it back into place. I did put a few skewers in to prevent it from shifting further and removed those the next morning once the marshmallow was set. Oh, and I left it out on the counter lightly covered with plastic wrap to set overnight. I was afraid the cake might dry out, but it was still perfect the next day.
I considered doing a chocolate, chocolate, chocolate version but couldn't find chocolate graham crackers anywhere, and I liked the sandy look of the regular graham crackers. Maybe I'll do a chocolate version for Edie's birthday...